Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: milter?

From: "John W. Black" <jwblack () vizoar com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:14:21 -0500

Perhaps I am missing the point, so please forgive me if I am way off topic
here, but I don't think there is a "milter protocol" in the sense that word
is usually used to describe a "network protocol".  The milter.org site
states:     "Milter is an API provided by the folks at sendmail to muck
about with incoming mail at every step of the SMTP session, accepting,
rejecting, discarding, altering, whatever you want to do, along the way."
Communications with milter is handled by operating system, and that type of
protocol (rules or method of communication) is usually referred to as an
API.

To "talk to" a milter compatible filter, you need to write software to act
like or re-create the milter API, as used by sendmail - which is documented
within the pages of milter.org.    It sounds like a great idea - to use
milters (or the milter methods/protocols),  but apply them to a data
stream(s) other than mail, or using mail programs other than sendmail.

Please let us know how it turns out.

John Black.