Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: safety of unidirectional NT trusts

From: "Jeff Boles" <bolesjb () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 06:49:18 -0700

I'd look at your primary concern being that any compromise of a trusted
machine, especially with MS Networking access to the rest of the network,
potentially completely compromises your entire domain.    i.e., now as a
trusted machine, attacks have the potential of focusing on a domain admin
account rather than just a local admin account.  This will pretty much be
the same regardless of whether you're using multiple domains with trusts, or
the same domain.

As a recommendation, I would review the requirements of this request, and
see if maybe the same functionality could be implemented through another IP
filesharing of some kind, i.e. FTP.  If you have no other choice, I'd
recommend looking into something like some of Watchguard's ServerLock type
products, or some other means of host protection which might limit
opportunities.  Granted, you'll get added admin overhead, but this might be
better than nothing.

JB

Message: 5