Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Spoofed SMTP _outbound_

From: "Jay Epperson" <jepperso () mail vak12ed edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:13:40 -0500

We're seeing source-spoofed traffic outbound from one of our segments to the SMTP port on a variety of outside
addresses.  The denials are like:

denied tcp 99.99.99.9(1328) -> 00.00.00.159(25), 138 packets

(not the real network numbers)
Where the source address cycles through all addresses on the IP segment (1-254) and the destination stays fixed through
such a run.  Since the majority of the source addresses don't actually exist on our network, it smells like part of a
DOS, or a one-way vulnerability attack intended to open up access to the target from somewhere besides here.  Still
working to capture enough information to identify the actual source platform, but if anyone can tell us what kind of
animal we might be tracking, it could help.  Boxes on the segment are all either Linux (new), HP-UX (mature), or AIX
(ancient).

Thanks for any help.  Apologies in advance if this is an inappropriate posting for this forum.

regards,
j.
jepperso () mail vak12ed edu