Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: POP3 problems (?) through Cisco NAT (RE: (no subject))

From: "Terry Bertrand" <tfbsr () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:01:30 -0500

Thanks, yes that was the problem .... someone mentioned that in a previous email and it is working Ok now..

Thanks to all
Cheers

From: "Loomis, Rip" <GILBERT.R.LOOMIS () saic com>
To: 'Terry Bertrand' <tfbsr () hotmail com>
CC: firewall-wizards () nfr com
Subject: POP3 problems (?) through Cisco NAT (RE: [fw-wiz] (no subject))
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:58:09 -0500

Terry--

Looking at all the messages, and given that NAT is
allowing you to "browse the inetrnet and all", is
it possible that you need to specify more of a
hostname then just "mail"?

If I try to telnet to the POP3 port on my home ISP's
mail server I get

shell1:[/mnt/www/clark.net/ri/rip] telnet mail 110
Trying 129.250.37.45...
Connected to corporate.email.verio.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK NTT/Verio POP3 (dfw-mmp4)

but on that system "mail" gets properly looked up
in DNS if only a bare hostname is supplied.  Perhaps
the domain suffixes on your home systems aren't
configured in this way...

From the same system you're using Outlook Express on,
try the following (this should work from a Command/DOS
prompt):

  telnet mail 110
  telnet mail.myfreakin.isp.net

substituting your real ISP in the latter command. If the
second one works and the first one fails, then it's
not a security problem (it's a sysadmin problem on
your end).  If *neither* of them gives a successful
connection, then let me know off-list and I'll try to
help.  (In either case I'm pretty sure that this whole thread
was off-topic, although that wasn't obvious at the
beginning.)

HTH--

  --Rip

Terry