Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Morris worm to Nimda, how little we've learned or gained

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:40:16 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Michael Brennen wrote:

There have been many such catalysts this past year to alert people
that their networks and data are at very high risk.  If Code Red,
Nimda and such don't fit the profile you describe above, what event
would you expect to be sufficient to do so?  The McAfee office in
Dallas was down for at least a day and a half in Dallas when Nimda
hit; that was one office.  If such a breach isn't sufficient to get
the attention of management, what is?  If Microsoft's network being
penetrated, which was fairly widely known, isn't sufficient signal
to companies running the same software that the same could happen to
them, what would be?  If the FBI's data being randomly mailed around
doesn't scare someone that it could happen to their own data, what
will it take to sink in?

        [SNIP]

I think the person you reply to means something so totally catastrophic
that it takes down like all the core name servers or a whole gov network
or many many systems, soething o par with the 9/11/01 twin towers attack
in NY.  I could have read him wrong, but, I think he's talking on that
scale.  And it is a shame, being all the 'signals' you mention that have
been there for sure.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!