Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Pix Firewall Help

From: Carric Dooley <carric () com2usa com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 12:40:24 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, William Person wrote:

I there some reason you could not use split DNS?

I am trying to get a ping request to return from a server on our inside
A>network, but has a public address.  Please see below for an snippet
from
Cisco's website that explains how to resolve my problem.  The specific
paragraph explaining what to do start with "The other option"

Q. I have a web server on the inside interface of the Cisco Secure PIX
Firewall. It is mapped to an outside public address. I want my inside users
to be able to access this server by its DNS name or outside address. How can
this be done?

A. The rules of TCP do not allow you to do this, but there are good
workarounds. For example, let's imagine that your web server's real IP
address is 10.10.10.10 and public address is 99.99.99.99. DNS resolves
99.99.99.99 to www.mydomain.com. If your inside host (say 10.10.10.25)
attempts to go to www.mydomain.com, the browser will resolve that to
99.99.99.99. Then the browser sends that packet off to the PIX, which in
turn sends it off to the Internet router. The Internet router already has a
directly connected subnet of 99.99.99.x, so it assumes that packet is not
intended for it but instead a directly connected host and drops this packet.

To get around this issue your inside host either must resolve
www.mydomain.com to its real 10.10.10.10 address or you must take the
outside segment off the 99.99.99.x network so the router can be configured
to route this packet back to the PIX.