Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SCC buys Gauntlet

From: firewalls () msg net <firewalls () msg net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:44:59 -0600 (CST)

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020213/sfw069_1.html
See also http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/24050.html

Of all the potential suitors who might have purchased Gauntlet, Secure
Computing's purchase is the best possible outcome. Still, I am somewhat
concerned about Secure Computing's plans for the Gauntlet product line...

When I first heard that NAI was looking to sell, we started a search for
a 'enterprise' firewall product to which we could migrate with a minimum
of pain and without compromising security.  Sidewinder was considered,
but ultimately rejected, due to several issues:
        * Only available on PC platform.
        * Difficult to administer and customize.
        * Nearly impossible to add custom services to the base product.
        * Remote administration interface leaves much to be desired.

I'm comfortable with Gauntlet on Solaris on Sparc hardware, to the degree
that in a global Fortune-500 enterprise I am comfortable with deploying and
managing firewalls in remote offices thousands of miles away, sometimes
without ever actually seeing the hardware on which I am installing and
running the firewall.

I wouldn't have that level of trust in the reliability and remote
maintainability of a product based on PC hardware.

Kevin Kadow
MSG.Net, Inc.