Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IBM firewall for AIX

From: Helmut Springer <delta () FaVeVe Uni-Stuttgart de>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:34:36 +0100

On 19 Feb 2002 at 16:25 +0100, gattaca () hushmail com wrote:
I'm currently working on a client site where they have a few IBM
firewalls on AIX.

Giving the exact software running would be helpful.  Looking on
http://www.ibm.com/software/security/firewall/ might be too.

The bugtraq archive gives you a little background with the subject
"IBM firewall".

Admittedly this is the first time I've come across them and I was
going to attend a training course in Dallas.  The rub is that the
course was cancelled due to a lack of enrollment.

IBM tends to ship its systems with useable documentation, most of
this is online accessable.

Further to this end I have not been able to find anyone who has
worked on these machines before.

I can assure you that those exist  8)

Does anyone out there still use these machines?  Does anyone have
an opinion that they would be willing to share either pro or con?

AIX introduced packet filtering as well as IPSEC in 4.3 (optional
LPP though), and the Austin AIX people were never not too happy with
the Raleigh firewall on top anyway.  So one can build systems with a
"normal" AIX OS and OSS tools, a reasonable knowledge in both
assumed.

As always and as stated frequently here: a security system is based
largely on knowledge.  The question whether to invest in keeping
(how old?) systems unknown to the local staff or replacing them with
systems where qualified administration is more easy to obtain
arises.

--
MfG/best regards, helmut springer           "Freedom's just another word
                                             for nothing left to lose"