Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: bridging enterprise hardware firewall

From: Chad Schieken <cschieken () lucent com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:08:02 -0500

I can think of two off hand --

Netscreen --

Strong product, really strong price/performance ratio. I could think of a couple minor improvements that would go a long way... Some neat features are, support admin via for local CLI (via ssh), local web (allows for SSL), or secure centralized management (for some extra $$$, but well worth it, if you're gonna have a few of these). There are some quirks to the way you need to specify rules in "transparent/bridge mode"so that you don't fill up memory/table space with things that are not relevant to your security design, but they document these well online at the knowledge base.

Has awesome QoS features, and strong IPsec support with decent interoperability (cisco, checkpoint, etc). I wish the online knowledge base had a little more detail in solutions it offers, I think I'd always say no matter what. Has poor support for Non-tcp/IP type stuff like GRE, IPx, DecNet, Appletalk (but so do most firewall vendors). Multicast support is kinda big weak point, especially if you want mulicast with IPsec VPN's (here comes the GRE tunnel between the routers....)

Lucent Brick -- aka "lucent managed firewall"
Really strong admin interface, but that requires a centralized mgmt station to run it on. One neat thing is that it doesn't contain any method of control outside of the mgmt interface, meaning even if you have physical access you can't change rules (although you could power cycle the box, and command it to talk to a different mgmt station, but the central station would notice this activity)

Rules are specified and applied according to zone definitions (a zone is a collection of specific IP's). This allows for very granular control, including strong features for multiple administrators. I E- Admin from R&D can be given access, and control over the R&D zone, while admin from Sales can have a different entire ruleset or policy.

Mgmt station works great, but it's a real pain to install it without Xwindows on Solaris. Makes it kinda tough to minimize the system and harden it as well. I know the product people typically reccomend that you hang the admin off an interface a brick (the fireall appliance itself), but I like defence in depth . Once it's up and running it even allows for a HA setup between mgmt stations, and sync between them.

later...
chad

*I work for lucent, but for a division that isn't tied to the product house that sells the brick.