Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Corporate H/N IPS

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:36:51 -0800

Talisker wrote:

Intrusion Prevention System (IPS).     More proactive than the traditional
IDS, they actively block traffic deemed as malicious, almost like a firewall
but using IDS techniques to block an attack.

EXACTLY like a firewall, only they look at higher level aplication protocols than classic packet filtering firewalls. I.e. they are exactly like the older application proxy firewalls.

Host IPS.     A HIPS will block an attack aimed at the Host upon which it is
situated, previous names for a HIPS have included Network Node IDS (NNIDS)
or personal firewall.  To quote nss
"It binds closely with the operating system kernel and services, monitoring
and intercepting system calls to the kernel or APIs in order to prevent
attacks".

Exactly like secure operating systems, or security-enhanced operating systems. Again, there is nothing fundamentally new here, just that the techniques have advanced. The technology has improved to provide faster, finer-grained intrusion prevention (such as Type Enforcement access control, and StackGuard and FormatGuard compiled-in defenses). Unfortunately, marketeers are pushing new buzz-words, trying to convince people that "host intrusion prevention" is some how different from secure operating systems.

A HIPS should not to be confused with a HIDS which looks at the host Event
or Sys logs, though many HIPS incorporate HIDS and File Integrity Checking.
examples of HIPS are: Entercept and Intrusion's SHS (Stormwatch)

True: "intrusion detection" is what you call it when your detector is so slow or imprecise that it cannot be used for prevention.

Network IPS.       What used to be called an inline IDS, it's an IDS with 2
interfaces, it will block those packets that trigger the criteria laid down
by the IDS. examples TippingPoint UnityOne and RealSecure Guard

What used to be called a proxy firewall, such as the Firewall Toolkit, or the Raptor firewall.

I'm looking for a good starting place and therefore looking for lists
containing HIPS and NIPS to start me off on the research, in return I will
collate all the information and feed a summary back into the list.

Please include the Immunix Secure OS, which is a linux system protected with an arsenal of intrusion prevention systems.

Also please consider deprecating the term "intrusion prvention" as marketing hype. NIPS ::= firewall, and HIPS ::= secure OS.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/