Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: finding security threats

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 08:31:19 -0500

Kilaru Sambaiah wrote:
All the firewalls and other tools are designed for securing
systems from any threat. Is there any way to find that my local
systems are breaking systems some where.

Most Intrusion Detection Systems that work on network traffic
don't make a distinction between "inside" and "outside" - they
look for attacks and intrusions going in any direction. Back in
the early days of the IDS business, we found a lot of our customers
were really surprised when the IDS we installed detected their
employees hacking other sites. I think employees are a tiny bit
more savvy about that, now...

mjr.
---
Marcus J. Ranum                         http://www.ranum.com
Computer and Communications Security    mjr () ranum com