Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Email Appliances

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 15:43:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Mikael Olsson wrote:

[...] if you have one of those layer 8[1] problems.
[1] Political layer.

That would be layer 9, since the layer 8 security problem is, simply,
"users"[2]. "Execs" are typically layered above "users" in full conformance
with basic layering principles[3].

No, no, no, users are physical layer devices that cause layer 8 problems.
Execs are indistinguishable from users at the physical layer, more
polished at the presentation layer, but originate much, much more layer 8
traffic[1].

Paul
[1] I originally read that as users(2), but my system happily told me:
No entry for users in section 2 of the manual.