Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Synchronizing public web server and samba

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:49:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, John McDermott wrote:

I have what cannot be too unusual a situation, but I cannot seem to find
the "best" solution.  I have an internal network behind a firewall and
on that network is a Samba server acting as a PDC for a group of
workstations. In a classic DMZ outside the firewall behind the router is
a web server.  The users on the Samba server waant to have individual
areas on the www server to post content.  I can do the Apache work no
problem.
What I want is to make it as easy for them to publish as possible, while
minimizing the administration and trying to have good security as this
is a school.
I've considered scp and ssh, but that requires duplicating the accounts
and quotas on the web server.  That's doable, but hard to automate,

It's not that difficult- rsync over SSH for the Web directory is the usual
method- I'd probably clean out symlinks, hard links, and files that start
with a dot before copying them though, or sync to a non-Web directory,
clean then move files over.

AFAIK.  If the web server were 100% for internal use, I'd just automount
the student directories and share out each one's http-public or
whatever. The problem is that I don't necessarily trust file sharing
through a fw.

Any ideas?

Give them each a public_html directory on the SAMBA server, and rsync
those over SSH from an account that has access on the Web server to their
content directories that Apache is configured to serve up.

Paul