Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: GIDS, Intrusion Prevention: A Firewall by Any Other Name

From: stig.ravdal () digitalpaper com
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:05:26 -0400

IMHO It is not really question of is it a firewall or is it something else
(new marketing hype).  It's another device/appliance that can augment your
security perimiter.  And as such it makes sense to distinguish it from let's
say a packet filtering or stateful inspection firewall - but it could just
as well be called a signature or knowledge based firewall.

This "new" generation of firewall or rather novel way of of applying the
Intrusion Detection engine and logic, seems to fit pretty well into the
layered approach to the security perimiter. In a hypothetical security
perimeter (no DMZ/Service network shown), the signature based ("Inline IDS")
may fit somewhere behind the second or third layer(an example):

Layer 1: Border Router (ACLs)
Layer 2: Packet Filter
Layer 3: Stateful Inspection and/or VPN Gateway
Layer 4: "Inline IDS Gateway," Proxies, SMTP Relay/Spamfilters, etc.

From one layer to the next the volume of traffic is reduced which in turn
allows the more intensive processing of the lower layer devices to focus on
their specific tasks.  In many cases one device/appliance will handle more
than one of the layers, but having at least two layers makes sense.  There
are of course a plethora of other ways that the devices could be organized.

Another advantage of using the layered approach is that the "Inline IDS" is
vulnerable to DoS attacks ( - I think: Inline IDS =
"Smart/Intelligent/Dynamic firewall") but the previous layers could
implement a rule set to limit the effect of such an attack.

I don't expect to see any devices that will encompass all these different
segments of the firewall/sccess control/filetering space any time soon, or
at least a product that will do it well (some vendors may try). As Marcus
pointed out you'd have to redesign this product from the bottom up.  An all
encompassing security gateway would be a single point of failure (either
form an attacker or physical failure barring redundancy).

Stig