Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: GIDS, Intrusion Prevention: A Firewall by Any Other Name

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:42:33 -0600 (MDT)

On 12 Aug 2002, Frank Knobbe wrote:

you probably realized by now that you meant Hogwash, not Barnyard.

Aw crap.  (Yes, you're right.)

Hogwash is the inline IDS. I'm not that familiar with Hogwash, but I
don't think it 'normalizes' packets in terms of reshaping them and
passing them on. It only makes a decision based on the snort signature
set if a packet is to be passed on or dropped. Anyhow... I just want to
clarify that for other readers.

I was under the impression that it also will do the defragging, etc.. this
is based on informal chats with Jed, but keep in mind that I have been
known to screw up details sometimes. :)  That may have been future plans.

Here's the link I should have looked up before calling it Barnyard:
http://hogwash.sourceforge.net/

                                        Ryan