Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The yearly FTP rant (Was: Re: Passive FTP and NAT/PAT with PIX and Serv-U)

From: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 23:16:35 +0800

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 09:57:21AM +0200, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
The downside: at the moment I haven't found a way to use it as an
actual replacement for FTP on our webserver. Customers updating their
virtual servers' htdocs directory are chrooted inside their part
of the filessystem tree. I haven't found a way to achieve this
with sftp: simple chroot and _no_ shell access.

Write your own shell. If you have access to the commercial ssh2, see
the manpage/source for ssh-dummy-shell.

IIRC, in essence, the ssh protocol says that user commands are executed
using the user's shell. You can install your own shell that invokes the
sftp subsystem only.

A programmer at a client's got a working shell for this, written in Perl,
in a morning.

(I haven't been tracking - perhaps by now OpenSSH has a ssh-dummy-shell
implementation, too.)

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com> * http://www.netmemetic.com