Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT with multiple addresses.

From: Wes Chalfant <wes () peabody com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:07:12 -0700

        The home page for netfilter appears to be http://netfilter.samba.org
(not www.netfilter.org).

        Note that it is also possible to do static NAT with the 2.2.x linux
kernels; for this to work, the the CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER and
CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES kernel options must be selected.  Setting up
static NAT is done with the "ip" tool that is part of the iproute
package; this package is included with many distributions (e.g. RedHat
6.1 and later).  Note that the iproute package is sometimes also
called iproute2.

        Introductory documentation/HOWTOs for ip are somewhat lacking.  If
you install the RedHat package, you'll find the basic documentation in
/usr/share/doc/iproute-<rel>/ip-cref.ps.  The best introductory
documentation for ip is the "Linux 2.4 Advanced Routing HOWTO"
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html); although
written (obviously) for 2.4, it describes the programs in the iproute
package fairly well and, so far as I can tell, what is written here
also applies to 2.2 kernels and iproute.

        Static NAT defines a one-to-one mapping of external IP addresses and
internal IP addresses.  The advanced routing HOWTO document doesn't
really document using the ip command to set up static NAT -- if you've
got 2.4, it's easier to do this with netfilter (iptables command).  To
do this with Linux 2.2, the commands to static map <int-ip> to
<ext-ip> would be:
       ip route add nat <ext-ip> via <int-ip>
       ip rule add prio 320 from <int-ip> nat <ext-ip>

Dhiran Rajbhandari wrote:

Use iptables (kernel must be 2.4.x or above )to use all public addresses
for private addresses../ you have to SNAT (source nat) in nat table
individually to internal addresses so that those internal addresses will
be converted to the defined public addresses../Please check the following
example..

iptables -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.x.x -o eth1 -j SNAT --to-source 1.2.3.4

for more information visit www.netfilter.org

Rgds,
Dhiren