Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: firewalls & multi-homing

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:37:08 -0700

--On Tuesday, September 04, 2001 5:51 AM -0600 Irwin Lazar <ILazar () tbg com> wrote:

Suppose customer "X" has two internet gateways, one in NY and one in LA.
Traffic goes out the NY gateway, but for some reason, asymmetrical routing
sends the return traffic to LA.  Assuming the customer is using stateful
firewalls, will the return traffic in LA be blocked?  Is there any
mechanism for the LA & NY firewalls to exchange stateful information?

You can do it, but it is non-trivial with today's products. Basically, you take an active-active capable state-sharing firewall, and VLAN it such that different boxes are in different locations, all sharing at least the state network, and probably the inside/outside/dmz/whatever nets as well. You have to make sure the bandwidth and latency of the WAN is sufficient.

NOTE: I've never actually _done_ this, but it should work. Of course, finding an active-active capable state-sharing firewall is another challenge. I think that one or two of the Firewall-1 HA providers supports this. I don't know of anyone else who does.

--
Carson Gaspar - carson () taltos org
Queen trapped in a butch body