Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Gauntlet 5.5, is packet filtering stateful?

From: Peter Bruderer <brudy () bruderer-research com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 05:21:25 +0200

In Gauntlet 5.5 the packet filters do not maintain states. For my
understanding, it was more to protect the actual system running the firewall
and to let traffic pass the firewall which has no proxy. The filters are used
also to forward packets to the local proxies, when running in transparent
mode. Since Gauntlet is a classical application level gateway, states are
maintained by using the different proxies.