Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SSL

From: Balazs Scheidler <bazsi () balabit hu>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 10:04:55 +0200

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 09:32:04AM -0400, Frederick M Avolio wrote:
At 08:18 AM 10/16/01 -0400, Crumrine, Gary L wrote:

... If I allow SSL outbound, and a user
browses a web site that is corrupt with something harmful like NIMDA, is it
possible that they will infect my network...

Yes. The firewall cannot examine it because the data is encrypted. SSL
"proxies" are just circuit gateways. I know of no firewall that has a true
SSL proxy wherein the data is encrypted between the firewall and the
client, and the firewall and the server, but is in cleartext on the
firewall. It is possible to do, but few customers (Paul Roberson) ask for it.

Just an exception to "circuit level" gateways. Zorp is a modular firewall,
and as such it lets you connect proxies in several interesting ways. For
example you can use the SSL proxy to communicate with the server and the
client, and 'stack' an HTTP proxy to further analyze the unencrypted
protocol stream. Of course nothing prevents you from using POP3 or IMAP
instead of HTTP.

Zorp has a GPLd version and is available at
http://www.balabit.hu/en/products/Zorp

--
Bazsi