Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing out a firewall problem.

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 06:01:52 -0800 (PST)

From: aryoung () veros com (Alan Young)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:46:25 -0800

[...snip...]

What is the best way to debug this?
We need to install a sniffer program on a PC somewhere, right?

Do you have a Unix box?  (Perish the thought!)

With Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, ...  a 'sniffer' is built in
(Solaris==> '/usr/sbin/snoop')

tcpdump is also available via a quick search on the net.

I have checked and sniffer software appears to be very expensive?
Is there freeware that is available for Win32?

Check at http://freshmeat.net/ ...  There are others.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks () cadence com

When a team of dedicated individuals makes a commitment to act as
one...  the sky's the limit.