Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Problem putting PIX OS 6.0.1&16Meg ISA Flash Card on a PIX-520

From: "Christopher J. Wargaski" <cjw () rmsbus com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 10:02:43 -0600

Hey Ross--

        I performed an upgrade like this a couple of months ago. From what
you write, you are trying to boot from the floppy directly after you install the
16 MB flash card in the PIX. Have you tried booting from the image that is
on the flash memory? (Typically there is one on the flash.)

        I searched Cisco's web site for the 'Obsolete FLASH card', and found
hits, however the link provides a bin file, not an HTML file. :-(

The machine just continuously boots, then reboots, scrolling this
message every time.  I then inserted the old 2 Meg ISA flash card with
5.1.2 OS on it and it works just fine.

        Did you put the 16 MB flash card in the same slot that the 2 MB card
was in? The PIX expects flash to be at a certain address.

Unfortunately this card appears to have sat
in the stockroom at the place of purchase for at least 90 days, being
that Cisco will not speak with me, even though I just received the card.

        Do you have Smart Net support for your PIX? If not, you might be
out of luck with Cisco support.

        You might want to call the organization that sold you the card and
tell them it is bad and you want a replacement.

        The upgrade is very straight forward. Pull out the 2MB card, insert
into the same slot the 16 MB card. You then load the new OS version and
you will have to get a new license for your multiple NICs (and possibly VPN
if you are going to use it). The serial number of the PIX changes when you
put in the new flash card.

                                                cjw

Christopher J. Wargaski
RMS Information Technology Integrators