Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Snort based Cisco ACL traffic shunning...?

From: Laurent LEVIER <llevier () argosnet com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 13:59:44 +0100

Greg,

I have Pixes under IOS 5.3.2. Pix logs from what I found are getting more and more poor each new upgrade.

CISCO IDS is even a more poor but very expensive "IDS" feature.

I setup some progs to detect scans, or bad network behavior with Pix, but they cannot be used anymore now at Pix logs:
protocol source to target (ports? what is ports?)

My advice: purchase a Shomiti box (700 USD) and put it between Pix & internal network on outgoing traffic (write to pix)
and another one you put between Pix & external network (write to pix).

You will then have what looks like really an IDS, not a CISCO shit...

My 2 cents...

@+/L