Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: CISSP

From: "Jody C. Patilla" <jcp01 () attglobal net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:53:59 -0500

At 09:04 PM 11/26/01 -0500, t wrote:
I guess I would ask the question of all: Can a person with zero experience in
the field pass the CISSP test?  All the time, 5, 10, 50 percent of the time?

I know more than one person who has never configured a firewall or a router,
never written a line of code, never rebuilt a filesystem, who has a CISSP.
You have to remember that all the certifications in this industry also have
a for-profit aspect.  In some cases, one might suggest that profit is the
primary or even sole motive.  People who pass tests who have no experience
usually have to go to training classes, which cost money. They buy study
guides, which cost money. They go to conferences and get certification
"credits" for attending certain tutorials, which cost money. If I were
running an organization which made money from certifications, I'd probably
be promoting the value of certification very loudly.

- jcp