Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Lookup of IP Address

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 16:55:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Martin wrote:

Is there publicly available a means of looking up an IP address - e.g. it's
ISP or DNS?

first, try to find out if a reverse lookup returns anything...

nslookup 111.222.111.222

if that doesn't return anything, you will then need to look for the netblock
owner. plug the IP into the whois search engines at these three sites:

www.apnic.net - Asia Pacific NIC
www.ripe.net - Europe NIC
www.arin.net - American NIC

this will show who has leased that range of IPs, but be aware that they may
have subleased them to someone else.

Save yourself the work, let the system do the walking, create this little
diddy:

#!/bin/sh
whois $1 () whois thur de

<you solaris folks will need to modify the whois command line to suit your
needs>

I named it fullwho, and then when seeking info that nslookup does not find
quickly, use this little tools to gleen info on the IP/netblocks in
question.  Polls all the other whois engine for you, the folks at thur.de
did a great job with this, my thanks to the folks working on it.

There are, if I recall, a few other engine like this, use those as they
become identified, and they should as this thread progresses, if this one
suits not your particular taste.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!