Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Gauntlet V6.0

From: "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen () punkt de>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:53:06 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all!

Evan Wagner wrote:

Solaris 8 is bad news in my opinion... Stick with Solaris 7 if
you can.

Jeff wrote:

Unless you put the reasons why you feel ot is bad, your opinion carries
nearly 0 weight.

Don't just say it is bad, give the reasons _why_ it is bad (in your
opinion).

Well, I just found out:

- Installed Solaris 8 on an old Sparc 5 system to expreiment with the
  new Gauntlet release.

  -> kernel panic after Gauntlet installation

- Call NAI, answer: "yes, Gauntlet 6 runs on Ultra hardware only, we
  have to fix the brochures, that say 'Sparc or Ultra Sparc System'".

- In comes our brand new Sun Blade system. Ultra Sparc CPU for sure.

- Installed Solaris, boot, "64 bit mode" - "Dang! Where did I miss
  that checkbox when installing?"

  Back to rom monitor, "boot kernel/unix" -> panic "32 bit mode not
  supported".

- Of course, Gauntlet 6 won't install in 64 bit mode.

I ... am ... not ... amused :-(

Any questions? We could move this thread over to gauntlet-users ;-)

Patrick
--
--- WEB ISS GmbH - Scheffelstr. 17a - 76135 Karlsruhe - 0721/9109-0 ---
------ Patrick M. Hausen - Technical Director - hausen () punkt de -------