Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Personal Firewalls - BlackICE

From: "Security Information" <Security.Info () jackmccarthy com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:23:19 -0500

Just a quick word about NetworkICE's BlackICE Defender (BID) - Steve Gibson from GRC has done an independent test on
Personal Firewalls  <http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm> - an in-depth review, well worth reading.  I run BID ver 2.1cn
<http://www.networkice.com/products/blackice_defender.html> and ZoneAlarm Pro (ZAP) ver 1.0.64
<http://www.zonelabs.com/products/index.html> on W2KPro SP1 with IE5.5 SP1. Both run with no problems/errors - as far
as compatibility is concerned.  I find that ZAP is more customizable/granular - you’re able to block incoming and
outgoing ports - both TCP and UDP.  Able to configure local network settings and Internet settings - specify which
programs are allowed to act as servers/clients, which programs are allowed to connect to the Internet or local network.
 The ability to stop all network activity to and from the computer with one click. Password protect the settings so
users cannot make changes on their own. The only feature that I liked in BID that I did not see in ZAP was BID's
logging feature.  ZAP has a log, but not as detailed as BID's (or as detailed as BID claims to be). There is freeware
version of ZA but has basically none of the options I mentioned.  No I don't work for ZoneLabs, just think they have a
good product.

-Jack