Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Does blocking TCP DNS packets keep your Bind safe?

From: Andrew Huffer <ahuffer () tellabs com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:36:37 -0600 (CST)

Don:

I agree that TCP transfers should only be allowed from the authorized
secondaries.  This should be enforced first by the BIND configuration and
then backed up by the firewall configuration.  This is really important.
Doing this limits the possiblity of a hack easily getting a map of the
network, thereby making him/her work a little bit harder to create a
profile for the attack.

General queries are UDP.  It is still possible to overflow named via UDP,
depending on the version of BIND we are talking about of course.

/ahuffer/