Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: regarding poduct

From: "J B" <bolesjb () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 10:57:58 -0700

Sathya,

There are some products available specifically for integrating this type of
flexibility into environments, it just depends on how much you're willing to
pay for them.  For NT centric solutions (with the possibility of
extensibility covering some unix functionality) you might look at the
development possibilities surround Internet Dynamic's Conclave Policy
Server.  That's a relatively cheap solution, but would take some doing on
your end to integrate.  ID has just been bought by RedCreek by the way, but
it appears as if they'll keep offering Conclave for a while, although I
suspect they'll eventually integrate it into their E-Director
product/topology.

That brings to mind, that you might consider establishing this access
through a locked down VPN setup.  A good policy based VPN setup would
compartmentalize your access control to resources, and likely give you much
more granular control.

Or you could go some direction like Access360.  I suspect you could
implement that product to do anything you wanted to for not much more
expense than the GNP of several small nations.  Similarly, there are even
CRM products which could give you killer functionality and meet your needs,
like Pivotal's Customer Hub.  But all of these, for what you've described,
are kind of like having to conduct a DNA analysis to get through the front
door of your house.

But there's a bunch of this kind of stuff around.  IMHO, sounds to me like
you need to better define what specifically you need first, and step back
and look at the best way to implement them in a robust environment.  Sounds
like the direction you're going, like Rip Loomis said, is not a good idea
for an environment you intend to go somewhere in the future.

JB.

Message: 4