Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Does blocking TCP DNS packets keep your Bind safe?

From: Todd <todd () unm edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:39:46 -0700 (MST)

rip, all,

bind9 just isn't secure.  i'm sorry, but it isn't.  i appreciate the
sentiment that comes with "we shipped junk for years but now we've really
fixed it" sentiment, but bind version 9 has already had more than one
security vulnerability.  see, for example:

http://www.sans.org/newlook/digests/SAC/tool.htm
http://www.securityfocus.com/frames/?content=/templates/archive.pike%3Flist%3D1%26mid%3D161399
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/ad/unbind.html

there are also several significant security problems noted in the bind9
CHANGES file, indicating that bind is not the solution to all problems.
in particular, bind9 has had instances of crashing when port scanned and
overwriting existing zone files by mistake.

while i agree that bind9 is an improvement, it's obivously not a solution
for the incoming traffic problem.

i would agree with darren:  C is a hard language to code securely in.
i would disagree with darren, though, that djbdns is somehow lacking in
functionality. the "richness" that he cites is part of the problem.  i'm
not afraid of sendmail.cf, either--i'm afraid of any MTA that has to
implement its own rewrite language just to function.  if we want secure
programs we need small, single function programs that are auditable,
simple and cleanly written.  i simply don't understand why 'richness' is
an advantage in implementations of relatively simple network protocols
that absolutely *have* to be secure.

djbdns is one example of software that is simple, fast and secure.  dan
bernstein writes software in small, understandable bundles.  i would agree
that they are sometimes tough to migrate to (especially when you've gotten
used to 'rich' software that does everything under the sun and just
happens to crash often or give up root to remote users occassionally).

comments about features and feature flexibility from security
professionals concerns me.

i certainly can't write secure code in C.  it's obvious that most people
can't.  Dan Bernstein seems to be able to.  i think we should take his
software more seriously.

todd.