Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IRC ports open on NT4?

From: m p <sumirati () yahoo de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:46:02 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Philip,

i read to late that you discovered already what was going on. The port usage of
the UPS service was new to me.

I don't know if every trojan/DDoS client written at home is 'known' by public.
So i send you the link to Gibsons page about what can be done on this port.
Nothing more was meant.

And yes, computer security industry lives from giving the people a feeling of
danger. (Like selling someone an insurance ;))

Steve is fighting his private war. I'm not in the position to judge about it. I
mentioned the page only to bring the idea of this possible "trojan/DDoS attack"
to you.

Best regards,

Marc

--- "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com> schrieb: > As much as I think
Steve Gibson has done some good things, I think
his crusade on the denial-of-service stuff gets more self-serving by
the day.

It's a nice tutorial for people that don't know what DoS is all about
(especially all those home users with broadband connections whose
machines often get used as zombies), but when all is said and done,
he profits from the hysteria he generates too.

Seems to be a common topic these days in the security industry.  The
Register sums it up nicely by comparing it to the mafia: implicitly
threatening you while simultaneously charging you protection money.

The antivirus companies have been accused of this for years, and now
we have all the "bug hunters" who can't seem to wait 5 minutes before
shouting from all the rooftops about some newly-discovered
vulnerability.  Many of them seem only to have their own notoriety in
mind.

Phil

(PS: We already concluded the ports were opened by APC's PowerChute
UPS monitoring software.)

On 24 Jul 2001, at 19:24, m p boldly uttered:

Hi Phili,

take a look at

http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

It is a nice description about new flooding networks build by various
people on
the net. And how they are used.

Just my 2 Cent

Marc

 --- "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com> schrieb: > Have some
suspicious
stuff going on at a site and in my initial
investigation I went to an NT server there and typed 'netstat -an' to
see what was open, and found these curious entries:

TCP       0.0.0.0:6666            0.0.0.0:0                       LISTENING
TCP       0.0.0.0:6667            0.0.0.0:0                       LISTENING
[...]
TCP       127.0.0.1:6667          127.0.0.1:1043          ESTABLISHED
TCP       127.0.0.1:6666          127.0.0.1:1043          ESTABLISHED

That box runs the following services: Post.office (SMTP MTA),
Interscan Viruswall, Filemaker Pro Server, and PC Anywhere host.

There is no IRC server on that box, and the Microsoft NNTP service is
not running.  Why would it be listening on IRC ports?

Thanks,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist () ekahuna com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium