Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

SNMP through internal firewall

From: Pierre-Yves BONNETAIN <bonnetain () acm org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 09:30:19 +0200

   Hello everybody,

   I have some questions regarding SNMP and its security. I'm not a wizard of
this protocol, so I turn to the list...

   First, are there specific risks linked to the use of SNMP (for
network monitoring currently) on an 'open' network (no internal filters) ? Does
this protocol have weaknesses, caveats or problems we should be aware of ?

   Second, on our network we have a 'restricted' area (say, it's the
boss' network) which is out limits, even for an internal computer. This
restricted area is protected by its own firewall, with its own rules, etc.
Basically, what happens on this network is nobody's business except for those
who are directly connected on it.
   We are currently asked to let SNMP through the internal fw, for Netview to
check the operational status of the 'hidden' computers.
   In this respect, are there any risks, other than knowing that such computer
is currently alive or is down ?
   Tia,
--
-+-+ Pierre-Yves BONNETAIN (aka Pyb)
     Consultant Internet/Sécurité --- B & A Consultants