Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: Messenger services

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:26:46 -0500 (EST)

darkstar:~$ nslookup  login.icq.com
Server:  fatb.celito.net
Address:  208.1.60.15

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    login.icq.com
Addresses:  205.188.3.176, 205.188.5.204, 205.188.5.208, 205.188.3.160

always be aware, a FQDN might well point to a server cluster of IP's.  So
firewall rules need to accomodate all the addresses in question.

So, ICQ might well be as easy to block from a network as AIM, meaning, one
blocks all the login servers flat and worries not about specific ports at
all.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne