Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Placement of a VPN Appliance

From: Jeffery.Gieser () minnesotamutual com
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:58:28 -0600

Ben,

Actually, I agree with you.  We are just concerned with remote
offices/users not other companies.  The VPN does require strong
authentication and there is some filtering done after the traffic has been
decrypted.  If you have a group of users that can do everything through the
VPN that they can do at work then the rules required would probably make
the firewall just another network hop.  I would keep the two types of users
seperated.  I deleted the original post so I can't relook at it but I
assumed he was talking about remote users that are part of his company not
3rd parties.  I am trying to make the same argument you just made about my
post to my company.  I do want 3rd parties to go through the firewall after
their traffic has been decrypted but I do not want people that work for my
company to do this.  I have been pretty busy today so I didn't flesh out
that post as much as I wanted too.  Thanks for the comments.

Regards,
Jeffery Gieser