Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Castles and Security

From: "Duquette, John" <john.duquette () eds com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 12:50:40 -0500

I think what you are getting at is really the heart of the issue.

The Maginot line was built to fight the *previous* war.  It was a
super trench because the French military was gearing to refight WWI.
The Germans were learning and preparing to fight a more mobile war so
instead of throwing their troops at the fortifications, they went
around them quickly.  Remember the French considered the Argonne
forest impenetrable, which the Germans demonstrated to be false.
Whether you want to use the castle or terrorist analogy there is one
common truth.  The attacker ALWAYS has the advantage and the element
of surprise.

Most current network security practices are geared at defending
against what has already happened and is known, not what might
happen.

Many of our customers *still* think that you only need to look at
their firewall.  Trying to convince them that they need to look at
everything can be like arguing with a drunk.

john

And I'll bite on one more thing, what relevance does Nov. 5 have to
any of this?