Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Air gap technologies

From: Aleph One <aleph1 () underground org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:44:34 -0800

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 04:51:37PM -0500, Elad Baron wrote:
Up to now, this group has chosen to focus mainly on the physical
disconnection aspect of the
technology, and this is why, in my opinion, missed the big picture. I can
only repeat what I
said in my original response: "***The secure transport mechanism we have is
a means to achieve
our goal; it is not the goal!***".

I must disagree. You must have missed our earlier messages were myself,
and I believe Cripin as well, agreed that dual-host proxies as implemented
by E-Gap and similar products do offer security benefits not found on
standard proxy products, although someone mentioned that  Secure Computing's
SideWinder with its domain type enforcement technology offer similar
characteristics.

Our point of contention is the choice of nomenclature. We find that calling
these products "air gaps" is a misuse of the term as used in the computer
security field as these systems do not exhibit all the characteristics
of a real security air gap, of which the most important is that the transfer
of data cross an air gap is not automated.

Further we argue that your choice of an actual physical switch at the
transport layer does not add significant security when compared to
implementations that don't use a switch, and thus hypothesize that it was
choose to have an excuse to use the air gap terminology.

So once again: The products are good. The terminology is wrong. The use
of a physical switch is suspect.

BTW, I only used RS232 as an example. The are certainly higher speed
protocol that are simpler than SCSI. For example ECP at 1 MB/s or
Ethernet at 10 Mb/s.

Elad Baron
http://www.whalecommunications.com

--