Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Air gap technologies

From: Aleph One <aleph1 () underground org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:22:48 -0800

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 01:58:56PM -0500, Frederick M Avolio wrote:
At 03:28 PM 1/22/01 -0800, Aleph One wrote:
They
are functionally identical to systems implemented without an "air gap".
A better name would be something along the lines of a "dual-host
proxies" or a "peephole proxies".

And, I think, this is why communication like this is sometimes very
difficult. I refer to the mailing list, not an air gap. *OF COURSE* it is
functionally equivalent. The question is always HOW that function is achieved.

That is fundamental to any discussion like this. A stateful inspection
firewall is functionally equivalent to a proxy-based firewall. How they
achieve security is exactly the important difference.

It was an error on my part to use the term 'functionally identical'. You
are correct that these new devices are functionally equivalent to proxy-based
firewalls, and this is why they should be considered as part of the
application proxy product space.

What I should have said is that these dual-host systems implemented with a
physical air gap and dual-host systems implemented via some other type
of point-to-point connection (such a a serial cable) have the same exact
security properties. In particular the property that the internal host
and network not be compromised if the external host is compromised.

So again, since the system with the physical air gap provides the same
security properties that the other dual-host proxies provide I am inclined
to conclude that the addition of a physical gap to the system was done
for reasons other than security. That the physical gap was added for
the express marketing purpose of having an excuse to call the system
and 'air gap' and associate the well known security properties of an
'air gap' with the product whether or not the product truly has them.

As an intelligent consumer of security products I am more likely to
purchase a product from a vendor that does not use such gimmicks
from among a set of equivalent products, and I would encourage others
to do likewise.

Fred
Avolio Consulting, Inc.
16228 Frederick Road, PO Box 609, Lisbon, MD 21765, US
+1 410-309-6910 (voice)       +1 410-309-6911 (fax)
http://www.avolio.com/

--
Aleph One / aleph1 () underground org
http://underground.org/