Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

FW-1 smtp security server

From: hermit1 <hermits () mac com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:45:04 -0800

I activated the smtp security server in FW-1 to check incoming mail - it only checks incoming mail. It created 2 problems, an open mail relay and not recognizing some mail as smtp.

FW-1 appears to check with the mail server to see if a recipient is valid before sending the mail on to the mail server. This is good. FW-1 also appears to check with my mail server to see if the sender is valid before accepting the mail. This is BAD, given my setup. My sendmail is configured to consider any mail originating or ending in my domain as allowed. Since the relay point (firewall) is in my domain, all mail is considered valid by sendmail, hence the open relay.

The documentation implies I can put a long list of allowed domains in the Recipient field of the server Match tab, but since my current list is several dozen domains, that does not delight me. What do most people do? Is there a better way without setting up another mail server in some type of sandwich formation?

Second question:
Several hosts that used to send mail without problems (prior to FW-1 smtp server) now get dropped by the Reject All rule later on. Apparently the connections are recognized as smtp by sendmail, but not my FW-1. The log shows successful smtp connections accepted by the correct rule, and labeled as "smtp" service. The unsuccessful connections are labeled "mail" service which is how the Nokia /etc/service file lists port 25. Does anyone have any suggestions about what is going on?

Thanks,
hermit1