Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Mixing PPP and LAN at the same time

From: Don Ng <sayhockng () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 07:53:11 -0800 (PST)

 Hi all, I was running through some installation
procedures on the NFR NID 100 at home.
 So I set up a small LAN on a repeater,
IDS sensor<-->HUB<-->AI then I dialed up to my local
ISP :) So now I am connected to 2 networks at the same
time. I am using 192.168.** for my  small lan.

 I recall reading about a couple working at home
logged on to different companies LANs but sharing a
LAN at home and then the user at each company's LAN
could see the other company's Network Neighbourhood.
 It was from Digital Lies? I think.
I was wondering if this is common in real life.
 Theoretically there could be a bridge between my PC
that is connected to both an dialup ISP and the
company network at the same time.
 Using private IP on the company's LAN would not help
as the PC would be the primary target to be
compromised right?
 Any products that can scan a network for covert (not
allowed by Security Policy ) modems?

Thanks in advance
Don Ng

=====
A Nobel Peace Prize for Jim Henson,
 He bought laughter to a lot of people.

 PS: I work in www.Quantiqint.com so
 comments regarding CyberGuard FW, NFR Security, Network-1,
 might be judged to be biased.