Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Checkpoint Problems

From: "David Hawley" <chiman () hawaiian net>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 06:56:13 -1000

LOL, an interesting problem.  I can tell you that there was a bug in SunOS
3.5 that caused
the TOD (Time of Day) to fluctuate wildly, causing the entire Sun community
at the time to
suffer for a few days until the "TOD patch" could be implemented, and
dispatched.  The worst
effect I saw was that no changes could reliably be made to the "Yellow
Pages", now called
NIS (network information system) (and NIS+), the reason? any changes you
might make were seen
as older that the existing files, from the previous wild fluctuation.  We
implemented, a cron
job to do an rdate, NTP wasn't in common use back then, but presumably
implementing NTP would be a good thing.

                                     David Hawley
                          UNIX & NT Network Security, LLC.
                                drh () 123netsecurity com