Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ Archtecture - Using public address space vs. usi ng Private Ad dress space and NAT

From: "Stapleton, Bernard (Australia)" <bernard_stapleton () exchange au ml com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 21:10:57 -0400

Jeffrey has brought up a good point here I think. (And sorry for this late reply)

I haven't been all that clear in what we run, or what we do.

We do have portable address space. 8 class C's to be precise. This is the result of an acquisition a little while ago.
We are considering using one of these C's subnetted up for our DMZ space.

Previously, we had made the decision that we would use 192.168 space for anything that didn't have to leave our region
for the global network, we have the first half of a B for our internal network.

We do have VPN users that come in, they are being routed on a subnet of our half B, this is one of our DMZs.

We have other people that we connect to, usually by leased line or ISDN. One of these people has come up and said that
we want to use private network x.x.x.x which is being used elsewhere within our
global network.

At the moment, I am rebuilding our firewalls to be GigE with VLAN tagging as we have passed the point of 12 DMZs, we
are basically running one DMZ for every person that we connect to.

I from a security perspective would say NAT everything so that our routers don't see the route, and if the firewall
doesn't NAT it, then nothing can get to it. If you are routing, and a security hole
comes up, that lets you bypass the rulebase for whatever reason, if it is routed, you can just jump straight past.

This is my concern really, or am I just being WAY too paranoid?

Berny