Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: sanity rule checker for fw-1

From: Avishai Wool <avishai_w () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:01:41 -0700 (PDT)

Well, the Lumeta Firewall Analyzer (LFA) goes most of the distance
for you. It takes your configuration (policy files + objects.C +
routing table for Check Point FW-1; output of 'write term' for PIX)
and does an offline analysis
of what the packets the firewall will let through if they were
to show up on one of it's interfaces.

When I study an LFA report for a client firewall,
the first things I look for are
 (1) which IP addresses can access the firewall and over which services
 (2) which services are allowed in from the Outside to any of the networks
  attached to an internal interface.

if the firewall has, e.g., an "allow any service from anywhere to machine X"
rule (I've seen more of these than I care to mention ...) the LFA report
shows you that, e.g., netbios, x11, sunrpc, dns, etc., are all allowed
into machine X. That usually raises a red flag for most people, even those
that don't quite realize that "Any" really is "ANY service", not just the
safe ones...

More info:
 Main page:     http://www.lumeta.com/firewall.html
 White paper:   http://www.lumeta.com/pdffiles/LFAwhitepaper.pdf

Avishai

--- "Stiennon,Richard" <richard.stiennon () gartner com> wrote:
What a great idea. It could prioritize each rule and highlight its potential
vulnerability. Firewall misconfiguration is a big problem in organizations
that have 50 plus rules. It would be great to have a daily report that
pointed out things like two way rules where one way suffices, or a temporary
telnet rule that was meant to be shut off after the remote admin was done.

Don't know of any such tool :-(

-Stiennon