Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Netscreen interface question

From: "Mayers, Philip J" <p.mayers () ic ac uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:41:19 +0100

Not as far as I'm aware, although you could do this successfully:

Site -> Netscreen -> router -> Internet
                    ___|___
                   /   |   \
                  /    |    \
                site1 site2 site3

...using normal routing, traffic for site1/site2/site3 will automatically go
out to the right place, and all mainsite -> other site traffic will be
firewalled - however, intra-(External) site traffic won't be, which could be
a problem if you don't trust one of the sites but do the other two.

You may be able to pull some cunning tricks with policy-based routing into a
vlan, and the virual systems technique (although vsys licenses aren't
cheap). Alternatively, you could use policy-based DNAT to bounce the traffic
back out the same interface it came in on (UGH! :o)

Also bear in mind the NS1000 only has two interfaces. The 500s have modular
interface cards, but essentially still have trusted/untrusted "ports".

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers                              |
| Network & Infrastructure Group           |
| Information & Communication Technologies |
| Imperial College                         |