Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Extranet vs. VPN (was: Non-IPsec VPN products)

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:39:05 -0700

marcvh () aventail com wrote:

Like so many things, it depends on how one decides what is and is not a
"VPN."  Aventail now positions its technology as an "extranet" rather than
a VPN, though it does solve some of the problems that people are talking
about when they say "VPN."

So what's the difference between "extranet" and "VPN"? I always thought of
"extranet" as "VPN to my remote locations" which is only barely
distinguishable (at a technical/product level) from "VPN to my corporate
partners."  The distinction appears to be what you use your VPN for, but the
product remains the same.

So what is the difference (in your terms) between an extranet and a VPN?

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.