Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Air Gap or Castles in the Air?

From: Rick Murphy <rmurphy () mitre org>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:37:23 -0400

At 05:28 PM 9/23/2000 -0700, Roger Marquis wrote:
> I am trying to get a handle on the difference between an air gap appliance
> and a firewall.

The distinction between a firewall and what infosecuritymag.com considers
an "air-gap" product is nothing more than marketing hype.

I'll agree with you if the air-gap is being marketed as a firewall replacement.
However, there is a market for these devices - classified networks that want to receive information from unclassified networks. You can't connect the two unless you have a high assurance device connecting them that doesn't let anything leak out of the classified network. These devices can provide that level of assurance.

What we're seeing, however, is an attempt to find a broader market for air-gaps. I don't see an advantage of the air-gap firewall versus any other, for precisely the reasons Steve Bellovin gave - high assurance transport of malicious content isn't what we're striving for. This is a case of a solution looking for different problems to solve in order to sell more units.
        -Rick