Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: ssh holes? trojans?

From: <havoc () chipsworld llamas net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 20:34:53 -0400 (EDT)

I find it difficult to believe that instead of implementing good security
measures you just monitor the traffic going through the firewall.  I
believe one of your duties should be to enforce good network skills and
habits; allowing telnet and disallowing ssh certainly isn't
helping.  Perhaps you should look into a product that interacts with your
gateway/firewall to search email, ftp, and http.  There are certain
products which can scan mail attachments and ftp xfers for viruses and
also scan the subject/body of emails for prohibited texts such as 'resume'
or 'sex'.  I wouldn't allow telnet out (or in) of my network because of
the insecurities of cleartext passwords.  If users are sshing, telneting,
or whatever to their home machine, and you (as your company) have a
problem with it (or your corporate security policy forbids it) -- perhaps
you should not allow this traffic, period.

To answer your question about trojoaned ssh daemons. You bet there are
plenty out there.  I have my own precompiled daemon that I install on,
lets just say questionable, machines.   Perhaps you aren't looking to the
right location for the code-- but it's definately out there.

IMHO, drop the ssh proxy idea.

-havoc