Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IPF and ECN

From: "Hammerle, Tye F." <Tye.F.Hammerle () snapon com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:34:47 -0500

I recently had a couple of mail servers using ECN trigger an alert wiht
snort while they were trying to send mail to us. Upon investigation I found
one was from Loyola. The admin there, Ben Galliart, did some research and
came up with the info in the message below.

I am running a PIX (5.1) which does not recognize a connection attempt with
ECN set, it denies it with a 'no connection' message. These two mail servers
were unable to deliver mail to us due to this.

BTW, snort classified it as a 'Queso Fingerprint Attempt'.

So far you are the only post I've seen that has noticed this. What version
of IPF are you running? platform?

Tye