Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

udp 31789

From: "Craig T. Hancock" <craig () charlie cns iit edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:24:59 -0500

Hello all a machine that I administer has been involved in a DOS attack on my subnet. THe networking monitor group as
told me that
a person was connecting to my machine via prt 31789 which is a udp port that cause a huge amount of overhead on the
network.
The thing I don't understand is how is this attacked is cause also I don't understand how the person could have gotten
in.
I didn't see any relevant info from the logs, but then again those could have been doctored.
Port    State       Protocol  Service
22      open        tcp        ssh
111     open        tcp        sunrpc
515     open        tcp        printer
620     open        tcp        unknown
800     open        tcp        mdbs_daemon
801     open        tcp        device
1024    open        tcp        unknown
1025    open        tcp        listen
1026    open        tcp        nterm
1030    open        tcp        iad1
1455    open        tcp        esl-lm
2049    open        tcp        nfs
4321    open        tcp        rwhois
6000    open        tcp        X11

I would like to know exactly how is this attack done, I mean I haven't been able to find out any specifics and how
is this prevented. I have checked the logs but I haven't been able to find out if the person ever got in. It looks
like no one was logged in at the time, but then again the logs could have been doctored. Here is a reference to the
attack
this is the only info that I have been able to find.

"Looks like an rpc scan where somebody is trying to bypass
                   the portmapper (111) and contact cretin rpc services directly."