Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IBM MQ security

From: Magosányi Árpád <mag () bunuel tii matav hu>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:45:38 +0200

Hi!

I have recently had the same problem. I was asking IBM.
They brought an "expert" from the US. He told me that
I have to use their firewall software. Not as it could
proxy MQ, but anyway...

I have two related links anyway:

http://www-4.ibm.com/software/ts/mqseries/beta/mqlinux51.html
        It is the MQ implementation for linux
http://www.hu.ibm.com/news/2000/mqint.html
        This is a converter which turns MQ requests into html.
        After that you can filter it as html.

MQ is esentially a store-and forward message passing middleware
protocol. (I have forgot the other buzzwords:)

It is a building block, you can build good and bad things with it,
security-wise. I think it is useless to talk about the security
of MQ without knowing what do you do with it.
An MQ message itself have very few attributes you can base
traffic control on. I guess that you shall use the html
converter and filter the html message if you want detailed
traffic control.
MQ offers hooks where you can put encryption (and other security
services).

A levelezőm azt hiszi, hogy David Lang a következőeket írta:

can anyone give me any pointers on the security of the IBM MQ protocol?

I was recently hit by a request from development to use it for
communications between several of our internal subnets and know nothing
about it's security risks.

David Lang

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból