Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Air Gaps vs. Firewalls

From: <rreiner () fscinternet com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 15:57:29 -0400

mikael.olsson () enternet se write:

A lot has been said about the "unparalleled
granularity" of these boxes. To those of you who argue
for its benefits, I feel I'll have to ask "just how
granular is it?". Will the URL shuttle, for instance,
protect me against the mistakes of the average
ASP/perl/php consultant, who fails to scrub queries
passed to database engines? Without me having to work
just as hard with the application layer filters as the
consultant had to do to get those scripts working
in the first place?

Yep.  You can configure an eGap to limit the length, or the contents
(via full regex matching) of an URL, any query-string data (e.g. from
HTTP GET), and any field in an HTTP POST body (i.e. the user-supplied
data filled into an HTML form).  You can't do that with other, simpler,
HTTP proxies.  And the eGap box makes it pretty easy.  Certainly much
easier than hand-crafting validation logic in ASP/PHP/Perl/whatever.

Since the typical ASP-coder errors are things like improper validation
of forms data, with consequences such as allowing user-crafted SQL
queries to execute, an eGap admin can work from the same spec as the
developers and provide independant validation of user-entered data, and
thereby enforce a nicely localized set of controls wrapped around the
application code.

If the developers make some effort to validate properly too, that's all
the better... but you no longer have to rely on their code (all too
often written under time pressure and not properly reviewed) as your
sole layer of defence.

Sounds like a good thing to me...

Richard

--